Kidney beans in yummy and simple gravy with cream!
Recipe as follows
1. 1 cup kidney beans soaked overnight
2. 2 Large onions finely chopped
3. 2 large tomatoes finely chopped or pureed
4. 2 tbsp. tomato paste
5. 4 green chillies slit
6. Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
7. Whole garam masala spices – 4 cardamom, 2 one inch cinnamon stick, 2 bay leaves, 3 cloves
8. 1 tsp. ginger paste
9. 1 tsp. garlic paste
10. 2 tsp. coriander powder
11. 1 tsp. garam masala powder
12. ½ tsp. cumin powder
13. ½ tsp. red chilly powder
14. 1 tsp. kasturi methi
15. ½ cup cooking cream
1. Boil the kidney beans and set aside [it took 3 whistles for me, do not overcook the beans it should be nice if it’s bity. Preserve the water of the cooked beans, this might be used to adjust the gravy consistency later]
2. Take a pan and add oil to it.
3. Add the whole garam masala. Allow to cook for a minute. Do not burn the spices.
4. Now add the onions and nicely sauté them till golden brown.
5. Add ginger garlic paste in the onions and cook well until the raw smell goes.
6. Now add the chopped/pureed tomatoes and remaining spices and sauté nicely until the oil is released. Keep sauting till the onions and tomatoes forms a nice gravy, you can use water to prevent the spices from burning at this point. You can also grind if you want.
7. Now add the cooked kidney beans and cook for some time. Add salt and adjust the gravy consistency. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
8. Now add the dry kasturi leaves and fresh coriander leaves.
9. Lastly add the cooking cream and cook for 2 minutes.
10. Adjust the spices.
Serve hot with boiled rice or roti!
Enjoy and happy cooking.